Installing cfengine on Windows 7 under cygwin
Update (2011/09/05): Updated the instructions for cfengine 3.2.0, cygwin 1.7.9, and tested them on a clean cygwin install.
Installing the cfengine community edition under Windows (the commercial version includes native Windows support) is fairly easy under cygwin, you just need to have the appropriate dependencies installed. Here’s how I did it.
Additional cygwin packages needed
To install these, run cygwin’s setup.exe, search for each packages in turn, and install them. Make sure you agree to install any additional packages that are listed as dependencies (setup.exe will ask you about it).
- bison (will install m4 as a dependency, say "Yes")
How to compile and install
- Unpack cfengine-3.2.0.tar.gz:
tar zxvf cfengine-3.2.0.tar.gz
That should be it. Remember that there is some functionality missing in the community edition under Windows (for example, userexists() does not return correct results). If you want full Windows support (including native features like registry editing, etc.) you have to use the commercial edition of cfengine. But for most purposes, the community edition works just fine.
If you have different experiences, or with different versions of Windows, please let me know! I'll update these instructions as needed.
- Limited Time Promotion! 50% off "Learning CFEngine 3"
- New Release of "Learning CFEngine 3"
- CFEngine talks at PICC'12 conference
- Learning CFEngine 3 has been released
- CFEngine posts moving to cf-learn.info
- cf-cmd: A command-line tool for running CFEngine snippets
- New website for "Learning CFEngine 3"
- "Learning CFEngine 3" Early Release now available -use AUTHD to get 40-50% off
- "Security in the Third Wave of IT Engineering"
- What's New in CFEngine 3: Making System Administration Even More Powerful - O'Reilly Radar
- "Introduction to CFEngine 3 Nova" webinar
- New job, new book
- Installing cfengine on Mac OS X
- Editing sshd configuration files with cfengine3
- Cfengine3 lexer for Pygments
- Storing CFEngine configuration in CVS
- Hierarchical copying with cfengine3
- The State of Open Source System Automation
- Editing whitespace-separated config files with cfengine
- cfengine Community Open Promise Body Library on GitHub
- Detecting NICs that match certain IP addresses
- Implementing "single-copy nirvana" in cfengine3